Monday, June 11, 2007

Mort Garson - The Wozard of Iz [1968]

Mort Garson - The Wozard of Iz [1968]
Thanks to my early synth whorism, it really took me a while for this album to grow on me. Like Bruce Haack, these albums I almost considered deleting are now my favorites. Another insane spoken word album and it's by Mort! Not just spoken word, but some incredible singing tracks and even some awesome early house-esque tracks are present as well. The whole album is this incredible socio-political satirical journey into the then current state of society and politics. The album is so general with it's stabs at the current issues then that most of everything on this album can be easily applied to current public figures and issues from today. Almost every twisted character from Dorothy's party should remind you of someone in tv or politics you're sick to death of. Every single track on this album is it's own unique audio-licious experience that's worth the price of admission on this crazy ride. Incredibly moody and dark tracks like the prologue and blue poppy will make you laugh and freak out at the same time. Then there's amazing character introduction tracks like Lying Coward and In-Man that will speak volumes about the way people still haven't changed in ounce since 1968. Here's the truly amazing, some of the very first foundations of house/dance music as we know it today are laid down in this album. Tracks like Never Follow the Yellow Green Road and Leave the Driving to us at some parts in the songs, sound freakishly like the fast moving tracks of today. Especially Yellow-Green Road, there a part in that song that has to be one of the first repeating electronic choruses in the history of the genre. One of the classic staples of electronic music and Mort Garson has it used on the album like a pro all the way back in 1968, talk about ahead of your time! Finally we have the beautiful singing tracks, High On Big Sur, Off to see the Wozard, and my personal favorite, I've Been Over the Rainbow, one of the most touching and southing ballads I've ever heard in my life. It was after this song that I became interested in finding a whole album of the guest vocalist who plays Dorothy's wonderful work. There's a rumor going around that her name Suzi Jane Hokum is an alias for Nancy Sinatra. This isn't true, after much research I came across her forum and it's already been confirmed by the moderators that this is not her work. After much consideration I find it kind of obvious. The girl featured on Iz has a very soft, soothing, and very high voice range where as Nancy Sinatra always had more of a sexy baritone type of thing going on. Even in her ballads her voice is just a little stronger than what this girl from Iz is capable of. Overall, you want this album in your collection if you're a big moog fan, the more you listen to this the more priceless all the bits and tracks will be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This album's off the wall, thank you for introducing this one to me.

fryluck said...

Absolutely welcome my friend, just wait until I post some Bruce Haack stuff.

TALL JAMAL said...

Glad that there's Mort Garson coverage on the ol' blogspot! How'd you first hear of him? I heard his stuff on that ol' "Blueboy" episode of Dragnet and searched and searched until I found out who it was.

I've been trying to find a copy of Black Mass for under $40 since!

fryluck said...

I requested for some 70's synth on an electronic music newsgroup and a kind soul posted a slew of electronic albums. Out of all the stuff, Mort Garson was and still is, cream of the crop. He went under the name "respect your elders" and to this day my electronic music folder is named "RYE". I have black mass and the other two relevant albums, it's a shame I do all this barking about Mort and don't have the other albums the blog is dedicated too, I'm going to fix this stat!

ChiefOren said...

Listened to The Wozard of Iz way back when it came out. Even then, it was way out. Been trying to find it ever since. What now, 40 years? It is still relevant even today. Wish I could hear the entire album again.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)